The Beginning

Monday, December 6, 2010

It's funny to me how we all have countdowns going on in our heads. We think things will be better once we get to this certain point in time or this milestone. Often time nothing really substantial happens at that moment and we're left creating another point to look towards. That has been my life up until now. Here I am poised on not really a new chapter of my life but a new book entirely. Not to get to sappy on everyone but I'm so overcome with every emotion right now its amazing (its probably not helping that I'm watching A River Runs Through It).

Aside from summers spent abroad, I've never lived anywhere but central Indiana. In fact, in my consciousness, I've lived in the same house my entire life with the exception of temporary college housing. Its hard for me to realize this is going to be a vacation but my new home. I'm completely brimming with excitement!

I never pictured myself on the west coast like most do. I was always obsessed with the hustle and bustle of NYC and the sensibility of New Englanders. I figured if I didn't find myself overlooking the ocean in an idyllic Vermont town or in an overpriced condo in Manahattan, I'd either be back at home in Kokomo with 2.5 kids or on the beach in Florida. Everything out west seemed cliche and oddly cold...as though I couldn't relate to the nature of the people there.

When I visited Seattle for the first time, all my thoughts on this changed. It was the most beautiful place I had ever seen!  I went out there having these snippets of thoughts about Seattle:

-Kurt Cobain (eh, not enthused.)
-Coffee (can't stand it!)
-Rain (anything but sun I complain about.)
-Grey's Anatomy (the last few seasons have stunk!)
-Twilight (now this I was excited about!)

I came back with these thoughts:

-amazing seafood (I'm a seafood fanatic!)
-BEAUTIFUL nature (I've never seen water, mountains, forests, and a metropolis in one gaze before!)
-Authentic and charming feeling downtown (very important to me as I love city life)
-Adorable housing (cute cottages and chic downtown flats)
-Nice genuine people (No overly spray tanned or west coast pretentiousness in site)

Everything about the place just felt right. I felt like I could breathe better and do more.

When I came back to Indiana, I really didn't give Seattle a second thought. It didn't seem like Jeff was going to be chosen for the job there and there was a lot going on in our lives.

Well here we are. Approximately two weeks away from moving across the country to that beautiful place. My family is NOT happy to say the least and while I understand, I just wish we could get some more support. This is what we want to do RIGHT NOW. I don't want to look back 40 years from now and think...I wish we would've taken that risk. But with that being said it is a risk. Something we need all the support we can get. That's why we started this blog, to connect with friends and family throughout this transition and let everyone know what is going on in our lives.

Now aside from the introduction...I want to show you something.

One thing I'm SO excited about is living in a more pedestrian and bicycle friendly place. I bought a cruiser bike early this Spring and there simply in NO WHERE to ride it around here that wouldn't get you squashed like a bug! In order to prepare for my new main mode of transportation, I decided to give my bike a little fix up. I gave her a complete wash down, covered the seat and lined the basket. I even gave her a little personalized pizzaz :) Check out Miss Vivienne: A 40's era Hawthorne ladies cruiser!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Category list

Followers